We strive to assist and protect players who are at risk of the potential negative effects of
gaming through a number of means, including self-exclusion tools, guidance on responsible gaming, risk
identification and player verification.
What we can do to help you
Any underage player who has provided dishonest or inaccurate information regarding their true age may have all
winnings forfeited and could face criminal prosecution.
- Every person signing up for a new account must check a box that indicates that they are at least 18 years of
age. This notifies everybody that we don’t accept players under 18.
- When a player creates an account with us, we collect their name, address, and birth date to confirm that the
player is at least 18 years old.
- We do not target underage players with our marketing and advertising. It is neither good business nor
consistent with our personal and corporate values to attract underage players.
If you have children or teenagers in your household, take extra care to secure your computer and mobile
- All Windows computers can be set up to have password control so that you must enter a password to get to
the desktop, and mobile devices can be set up to require a passcode to unlock. In general, this is a good
practice, but it’s even more important when there are children or teenagers in your household. Also, keep
your username and password private. You can elect to have the software not remember your password each time
you log-in. If you have any concern that somebody else might attempt to access your Stars Account, you
should not allow the software to remember your password.
- If you have children or teenagers in your household, use protection software that allows you to limit the
websites to which they have access, prevent file sharing, and generally give you detailed control over how
children use the Internet. Here is a list of some of those programs:
- If you are aware of an underage person using our platform, let us know. Simply contact Support and we will get right on it. Our first step is to
investigate, and if warranted, freeze the player’s account and request identification from that player. We
these reports seriously.
- Be a responsible parent. In many ways, this is nothing more than keeping your eyes and ears open. If you
your children talking about online gaming accounts, deposits, and refunds, start asking questions. If you
the software on your child's computer, uninstall it and ask more questions. A responsible parent is the best
start to preventing underage gaming. You can find advice on how to talk to a young person about
If you believe that playing games might be a hindrance to your life rather than a form of entertainment, we want
to help you. First, please review the following questions:
- Did you ever lose time from work or school due to playing?
- Has playing caused you to neglect your own welfare or that of your family?
- Have you ever sold anything or borrowed money to finance your playing?
- Have you often played until your last money was gone?
- Have you ever played longer than you had planned?
- Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your playing?
If you answered “Yes” to several of these questions, we encourage you to visit Gamblers Anonymous.
You can take the test in its entirety at one of the following websites:
Also, we provide you with the ability to exclude yourself from playing for various periods of time.
To do this, go to the main lobby of the desktop software, select ‘Tools’ > ‘Responsible
Gaming’ > ‘Exclude me from playing’. On mobile, go to ‘More’ > ‘Settings
& Tools’ > ‘Responsible Gaming’.
Please note that all self-exclusions and time outs are irreversible for the duration of the specified
time. In addition, all self-exclusion periods are inclusive of all games. Your self-exclusion will apply to your
Stars Account, and to any product that requires your username to play, and covers both real money and play money
If you want to block yourself from a particular game, go to the main lobby of the desktop software, select 'Tools' > 'Responsible Gaming' > 'Restrict Table Limit' and set your limit to 'Don't play'.
- We offer 12-hour and 24-hour cooling off periods as well as 7 day, 30 day, 60 day, and 120 day
time out periods. You will not be able to play any games that we offer on our software.
Once you click the button that requests a time out or a self-exclusion period, you will be asked to close
all tables at which you're playing. You will be automatically unregistered from any online tournament that begins during the time out and
self-exclusion period, with your buy-in refunded per our normal policy. If you are still playing when the
self-exclusion period begins, you will not be forced to close the software, but will receive a pop-up asking
you to do so – the exclusion period will begin once the software is closed. You will be able to login and
access the cashier, but you will not be able to play, deposit or make inter-account transfers with your
Stars Account. If you have won a seat in a live, brick-and-mortar tournament that begins during the
exclusion period, you will still be able to play it. You will not receive any marketing emails or
newsletters from us.
- 6-month self-exclusion. This is identical to the other time out periods, except that we
will ask you to refund any real money funds from your Stars Account. In addition, you will not be
automatically reinstated. If you want to return to playing with us, you can contact Support any time after your self-exclusion period has
- Self-exclusions longer than 6 months, and permanent self-exclusions. If you wish to
self-exclude yourself longer than 6 months, or permanently self-exclude yourself, please contact Support.
- Self-exclusion during tournaments.
- Players who self-exclude themselves during a tournament will still be able to complete any tournament already in progress in which they are playing.
- Multi-Day Tournaments: Players who request to be self-excluded from playing during a 'qualifying for Day 2' of a 'Multi-Day Tournament' will still be able to play in that tournament on any subsequent day of that tournament, even after their period of self-exclusion begins. Players who choose not to play on subsequent days will receive no compensation.
- Phased Tournaments: Players who request to be self-excluded from playing during a phased tournament will not be able to complete the next phase of the tournament. Make sure you can play the tournament in its entirety before entering the first phase.
- Please also note that if you win any prizes resulting from any offer that may have started prior to your self-exclusion (i.e. automatic drawings to live events, or live activities), they may be forfeited.
If you wish to self-exclude from all online gaming activity, consider downloading gamban®, software that helps you by blocking access to all
You may also wish to investigate GamBlock, a
software application that limits a computer’s access to online gaming sites.
What you can do to help yourself
Identify and reduce the risks
If you choose to play online, there are some general guidelines that can help make your playing experience safer, and reduce the risk of problems occurring:
- Play for entertainment, and not as a way of making money.
- Play with money that you can afford to lose. Never use money that you need for important things such as food,
rent, bills, or tuition.
- Set deposit limits and ensure you never deposit more than you can afford to lose.
- Never chase losses. If you lose money, don't play higher stakes to try and recoup your losses.
- Don't play when you are upset, tired, or depressed. It is difficult to make good decisions when you are
- Balance your playing with other activities. Find other forms of entertainment so playing does not become too
big a part of your life.
There are risk factors that can contribute to the development of issues such as difficulty stopping gaming.
Players can be more at risk if they:
- Have easy access to their preferred form of gaming
- Hold mistaken beliefs about the odds of winning
- Do not take precautions to monitor gaming wins and losses
- Have an early big win (leading to false expectation of future wins)
- Have had a recent loss or change in their personal life, such as divorce, job loss, retirement, or death
- Often feel bored or lonely, or have a history of risk-taking or impulsive behavior
- Have financial problems
- Have a history of mental health problems, particularly depression and anxiety
- Have a parent who also has (or has had) problems with gaming or other compulsive disorders
- Have (or have had) problems with alcohol or other drugs, or overspending
The more factors that apply, the more likely a person is to develop a problem.
If you are finding it hard to stop gaming, or if you’re already suffering from consequences related to your
gaming behavior, it may be time to get help.
We offer you the option to set different Responsible Gaming limits to help you play responsibly. You can set
these limits by following these instructions, depending on how you are accessing our services:
Log in and select ‘Tools’ > ‘Responsible Gaming’
After logging in go to ‘Menu’ (Android), then ‘Settings & Tools’ >
Set limits on your real money deposits
We believe that you should be allowed to manage your own budget for playing online. We allow you to restrict your
own weekly real money deposit limits. Of course, those limits may be no higher than the ones we already have for
Set deposit limits
Restricting cash game table limits and tournament limits
Setting table limits and tournament limits provides individual players with an opportunity to control their
spending by limiting themselves from playing certain table limit stakes, as well as tournament buy in limits.
Set game limits
Restricting refund cancelation
You have the option to restrict yourself from cancelling your refunds once they have been requested. You can apply this by going to the main lobby in our desktop client and selecting 'Tools' > 'Responsible Gaming' > 'Restrict Refund Cancellation'.
If you activate this feature, you will disable your ability to cancel pending refunds on your account and we will not cancel your refunds at your request. This restriction is permanent and it will not be possible to restore your ability to cancel your refunds once you have activated it.
If you want any restriction in place permanently or for a designated time, please contact Support with your request.
Need help, advice or counselling?
If you feel you might have a problem stopping gaming, and seek further advice or counselling, please visit these